Below is a list of ways you can support the Black Lives Matter movement from the UK. We need to educate ourselves, learn, shout, protest and get comfortable with feeling uncomfortable – and we need to do it every single day. Here’s where we can start:
What to sign
You can find a comprehensive list of petitions to sign through this google document, including US postal codes to use if you have to submit one. Here are a few key petitions to support:
The Minneapolis Police Officers to be charged for murder after killing an innocent black man: here.
#JusticeforFloyd: Demand the officers who killed George Floyd are charged with murder: here.
Justice for Breonna Taylor: here.
Justice for Belly Mujinga: here.
How to write to your MP
- Find your MP’s contact details here.
- Use this link if you need a template to copy (please try and switch up the wording so it does not get lost in a spam filter)
Where to donate
- Official George Floyd memorial fund
- Reclaim the Block
- Black Visions Collective
- Women for Political Change: Mutual Aid
What to Read
- Brit(ish): On Race, Identity and Belonging by Afua Hirsch
- Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge (Reni has requested that you borrow a book, or buy one secondhand, and donate the money you would have spent to a Black Lives Matter charity or fundraiser.
- How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Slay In Your Lane: The Black Girl Bible by Elizabeth Uviebinené and Yomi Adegoke
- Do The Work course by Rachel Cargle.
- Anti-Racism Resources by Sarah Sophie Flicker and Alyssa Klein
- Me and White Supremacy: How to Recognise Your Privilege, Combat Racism and Change the World by Layla Saad.
What to watch
- When They See Us – Ava DuVernay (on Netflix)
- Dear White People – Justin Simien (on Netflix)
- Hidden Figures – Theodore Melfi
- Hollywood – (Netflix)
- Selma – Ava DuVernay
- The Hate U Give – George Tillman.Jr
- See You Yesterday – Stefon Bristol (Netflix)
Who to follow
Goddess Platform – by Munroe Bergdorf
Rachel Elizabeth Cargle
Layla F. Saad
We The Urban
Please comment your suggestions and we will update this regularly.
Featured image on homepage credit: sacrée frangine